Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Best Torpedo fan art I've ever seen!


Ok so maybe given that The Torpedo (the unofficial side kick of ROM) is even a more obscure 70s - 80s Marvel character then ROM to say that I've found the best Torpedo art ever isn't saying much. Especially since I'm pretty sure I could count all the fan art of the Torpedo ever done on both hands and still have some fingers left over. But that still does not take away from this being an awesome illustration in which we haven't seen The Torpedo looking this good since back in the day when Sal Buscema use to draw him in the pages of ROM. But I don't want to take anything away from other Marvel artists who have drawn him because he was done up pretty well also in his debut appearance in Daredevil and then later in Marvel Premiere. Here, I just love the colors and the action pose he's in. The artist has a great grasp on perspective and proper proportions that also look dynamic which is something I always like to see in comic book character art figure drawings. Also it is worth mentioning that The Torpedo has his own micro hero and that over the past year I've come across more then one custom figure made of him. In case you were wondering I found this on Deviant Art and it was done by a talented fellow by the name of Jordi Lupo. Be sure to magnify the image it's a pretty large file.

10 comments:

  1. Sure as Hell i'm gonna like this blog! This is my piece of Rom Art, purchased at an ebay auction in benefit of Mantlo: http://bit.ly/rgXiSl

    And this is our own Mantlo blog: http://admiradoresdebillmantlo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome! if you like Rom spaceknight, The Torpedo, Bill Mantlo and Sal Buscema this is the place to be. i just took a quick look at that blog link that's cool i can't believe i didn't know about it before. i'm at work right now but when i get home later tonight i'll go back to it when i have more time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep, the hot colors contrast nicely with The Torpedo armor and the pattern gives a sense of movement and energy that helps make the illustration more dynamic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, thanks for the suggestion of the automatic translator. You can write your comments in English there. These are the entries devoted to Bill in my own personal blog: http://ch999.blogspot.com/search/label/Bill%20Mantlo

    ReplyDelete
  5. cool i just checked out a bunch of postings there and left some comments on the stuff i liked the most. i also really like The Micronauts both the toys and the comic back when Mantlo & Golden worked on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the visit and the comments. I have found a very good automatic translator and put it in my own blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. .. As a matter of fact, I can't believe how good this translator is. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. David,

    999 is my own blog (it is 99% about comics) while there is 3 or 4 of us in Admiradores de Bill Mantlo. We are all from Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. David,

    TORPEDO is seen on a NEW COVER for a DEFENDERS "Marvel Universe" style handbook.

    You can check it out on my blog post (not focused on Torpedo - I'll leave that to you).

    http://sanctumsanctorumcomix.blogspot.com/2011/09/strange-clothes-make-man-strange.html

    ~P~

    ReplyDelete