Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The good ol days of letter columns in your comics

Left click to enlarge
Last weekend I grabbed a copy of New Warriors 35 (1993) in a $1 box because it had a bunch of action with the Torpedo armor. While browsing through the letter column I found a cool letter I thought I'd share with you all along with this nicely done panel with Turbo and Nova. It's funny back when I was in my early teens I never really cared much for the letter column section of my comics. It always seemed like the letters mostly consisted of fan boys asking stupid behind the scenes questions about who's working with who and why did that guy stop working on that title and how they would like to see this n' that and so on. Now of course I see these letter columns with a different perspective  . . . at least some times hence this posting.

Art work by Bob Layton
April 9 update: What a nice surprise to come my way just when I thought I had scraped the bottom of the barrel for all the good ROM related fan art out there. Originally done by Bob Layton and later colored by Ian Sokoliwski this one has actually been around for about a year and a half but as far as I can tell has remained largely undiscovered.

April 11 update: Looks like I lucked out again last night I came across what as far as I know is the only Torpedo (Brock Jones) sketch card out there. Alsowe'll have to wait till October but it looks like Twomorrows Publishing will have something in print for not just ROM fans but also for fans of late 70s and early 80s comics. Aside from the synopsis see if you can spot ROM on the cover
http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1195

13 comments:

  1. It's definitely a very much missed feature to comics nowadays, yeah. I've written a cou[le in my time, but never had any published. Still, even in an age of twitter and facebook, there's no excuse stuff like that can't be included into a new letters column in the back of comics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. especially given how pricey new books are while be so skimpy on dialogue a letter column would at least give you a little more something to read. that's just wrong when you pay $3-4 for something that you can read on the can faster then it takes for you to conclude your business.

      Delete
  2. This is museum worthy stuff :) Congrats
    Marvel comics have been published here in Brazil since forever, but in 1985 we were reading translated 1975 comics, only a few "flashforwaards" happened now and then. The world was much bigger than, but i managed to buy american comics from 1988 to this day, no more "delays" and i´ve read thousands of comics and yeah, the letter column was always a good reading to train my english. I can only imagine what is to have a printed letter on a Marvel comic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes my friend the internet changed the world as we know it in so many ways.

      Delete
  3. Really diggin that Galactic Defenders pic and line-up by Layton. I also like the fact that unlike everything pretty much at Marvel these days, the team isn't trying to ape a popular brand name(Avengers). Very cool line-up, but it needs Adam Warlock, Quasar, Jack of Hearts and Darkhawk to feel more complete for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm more partial to Quasar and to Jack of Hearts as long as their not going to join the team in their original costumes. speaking of marvel cosmic teams I just saw Guardians of the Galaxy (or at least most of it) yesterday on a DVD from the public library. there were some funny quips, a good sound track and Zoe Soldana as Gamora was smoking hot but it was other wise not my thing just as I figured from the trailers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just reading that comic a few days ago! Nova is such a dick to Turbo. -Both of them!

    As for The Galactic Defenders- take out Phoenix and replace with Tamara Devoux, and switch Hyperion with Quasar maybe? Darkhawk? And that would be a comic I would throw all of my money at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm with you on Phoenix it doesn't really make much sense to have her there from a narrative stand point. i like Quasar but don't know squat about Squadron Supreme so i'm with you there too. never got into the Darkhawk character. in fact it was only last year that i learned that Darkhawk was of the Marvel Cosmic genre as opposed to the more street level stuff which i was always under the impression of based on the clip art from Darkhawk issues i've come across over the years online and in discount back issue boxes.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, Just because The Phoenix Force is from space... and I don't know shit about The Squadron Supreme either.

      And you were right to think that; Darkhawk was totally street-level in his comic back in the day... the cosmic connection with him came a lot later. They dropped hints here and there. But space was definitely not the focus.

      Delete
    3. i'm surprised you didn't say anything about my parody cartoon given how much you hate the ROM heromug doll.

      Delete
    4. -Haven't got there yet... Playing catch-up on a number of sites......

      Delete
  6. I loved that issue of the New Warriors! Cardinal never really got developed to where I think Fabian wanted to take him, but it was cool having the Turbo suit shared amongst two great characters.

    That Galactic Guardians is pretty sweet! When I interviewed Bob it was very clear he LOVES the original X-Men line-up, so I'm sure Phoenix was one of his first recruits. Nova too.. how sweet is that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah it was one of the several times that Micky demonstrated she was more cut out to use the Torpedo armor then Michael was. yeah that Bob Layton fan art was a good find. almost makes you want to draw something . .doesn't it Dan?

    ReplyDelete