Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Always cool when your letter gets published


This past weekend I found a copy of Avengers Academy #27 which I had been made recently aware (thanks Gary) of as having letter I wrote (under the pen name "Sol Rosenberg", any other Jerky Boys fans out there?) back in 2012 to the editor William Rosemann. I had actually written two letters but completely forgot about this one until recently. This one was written after the first issue of a 3 issue story arc that included the return of one of ROM's top deadliest enemies, Hybrid. But by the time the 3rd issue came along my attitude had changed drastically when I realized marvel had failed yet to do justice to the ROM legacy. So I wrote a rather critical follow up letter which obviously didn't make it into any Avengers Academy letter columns but I did have it in a past posting along with Rosemann's reply : )
http://romspaceknightart.blogspot.com/search?q=avengers+academy

Left click to enlarge
=Oh man after posting the letter page related stuff I got a call from work letting me know I can have the day off from work because it's so slow this week. I'm so sprung right now it makes me feel like doing a another drawing I've been meaning to get to for a while now. This scene didn't quite turn out the way I envisioned at first but this is basically how I see an encounter going between ROM and Dr. Doom.

Also, I found something cool on Figure Realm today . . .
https://www.figurerealm.com/viewcustomfigure.php?FID=72162
and for fans of the Masters of the Universe mini comics . . .
http://old.he-man.org/primary_sects/comics/html/mini_comics/motu/index.shtml

14 comments:

  1. You got a letter published? How awesome is that! Living in the other side of the globe I could never make it. By the time my letter made it there, the next issue was usually out already.

    Nice Doom mr too! I always thought it would be cool to see Doom land on the home of the Spaceknights and try his hand at turning the team into his own galactic force. A little more integration into the mainstream Marvel U could've really helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Dan, and for anyone else reading all this (all two or three of you) it was an email not an actual paper letter they published.

      Delete
    2. I like to think that Doom & ROM could figure out a way to work together ...

      Delete
    3. they probably would if the threat was legit but no doubt Doom would be working some sort of angle. the real question is would ROM be clever enough to figure out Doom's ulterior motives before it's too late?

      Delete
  2. I almost had a letter of mine published in the back of an issue of Avengers West Coast. SO close.....

    Cool beans though man, and yes I too know all about the Jerky Boys and Sol Rosenberg. "They used to beat unmercifully and rub sand in my eyes." Oh man, Jerky Boys 4 was my jam back in the day.

    You'd think if they were clever, they'd sneak ROM into Battleworld somehow....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'd think if they were clever they would have the freaking rights back by now. But no. It's so freaking cool to see your letter published, I can't even imagine. And I love your Doom, who has always been one of my favorite villains. And that toy sculpt is very well done. Much more like ROM than even the original toy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. did you see the Warbow figure in that group shot? i wonder if it's a custom too, i would guess so.

      Delete
  4. Hey we Tag-Teamed it! Thanks for the heads up my friend. Now I have to find the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice one, Sol... how are your glasses? Are your eyes still going crazy, goddammit? Okay. Alright. Sure. I'm sorry.
    Hahaha! One of the only funny things worth watching on Family Guy in recent years is Mort The Jew (who is basically just Sol Rosenberg) voiced by Jerky Boy Johnny Brennan.

    Anyways... I've never written to a comic before. Just never felt the urge. That's cool you found that issue, though.

    Doom looks bad-ass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's cool about Brennan and The Family Guy. I think it was an issue of Maxim magazine a little while back about the Jerky Boys. it was really interested it went into detail about how they got started and about some of the commercial success they had as well as missed opportunities for more. it all kinda fell apart largely because of growing friction between Brennan and his partner Kamal. it really almost read like one of those classic stories about successful bands they break up over a bunch of internal drama and politics.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I remember their falling-out. I was a huge fan back in the day- I had all their cassettes! I even saw the movie in the theater! HA!
      I remember being pissed because it was them doing stuff from their albums; just in movie-form... So I had already heard all the jokes!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing this quality information with us. I really enjoyed reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All kinds of awesome reguarding your letter.

    ReplyDelete