Sunday, July 9, 2017

My short Spider Man Homecoming review


Well after 5 Spider-Man movies with the last 3 being somewhat less then great I have to say I think I was getting a bit of Spider-Man movie fatigue. Avengers Civil War helped in starting to turn that around and I'm glad the rebooted cinematic Spider-Man franchise has gone in that general Avengers spin off direction. But at the same time part of me felt like there were a few things things here and there they could have left on the cutting room floor to make the film a bit more concise. Perhaps a bit too much time was devoted to Parker learning the hard way about the whole power and responsibility lesson . . maybe?
Some of the best high lights of the movie were the cast performances, I really enjoyed seeing the pupil/mentor relationship develop between Parker and Stark. Michael Keaton was great although I think a bit more screen time for his character would have been helpful. The Star Wars references were cool and the opening and ending scenes of the film were down right epic if you've seen the movie already you know what I'm talking about. We also got to see some genuinely unexpected twists to the story line that I also enjoyed and as expected there were quite a few of those classic Spider-Man quips we've come to expect. Specifically there was one scene I didn't like, it had to do with the ferry disaster I dunno something about it didn't quite sit right with me. However, over all Spider-Man Homecoming was pretty good it's got me a bit more stoked for Black Panther in the same way Wonder Woman did for me and The Justice League.

Cesar keepn it real
Here's what's coming next weekend, Planet of The Apes WAR. This is another iconic franchise reboot I've been pretty happy with so far so I'm planning on seeing the latest installment on it's opening weekend as well. I might even do an update to this posting with a brief movie review. From what I can see already it's going to be a strong character driven story line and the cgi looks great.

11 comments:

  1. Cool. I wasn't 100% sure about this one, but it does look really good, much better and more appealing to me than the last attempt with Andrew Garfield, even though after finally watching ASM2, I have to say he wasn't all that bad as Spider-Man, but this kid seems better.

    I'll probably just wait until it comes out for rent, but I'll watch it just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice posing on Spider-Man in your ROM/Spider-Man team-up btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. speaking of team ups, one other little thing that annoyed me about the movie was that in the previews they kept showing a scene where Spidey is swinging through the NY with Iron Man flying along side him but that never actually happened in the final cut of the movie.
      as for the last two Spider-Man movies the problem wasn't Garfield in all fairness to him as an actor. the Lizard was so fake looking and i hated the way he was basically a giant. and the Electro character wasn't handled well either the whole nerd thing before him getting his powers was too over the top and campy. those are just a couple of the things i didn't like about those movies but in general they felt too much like trying to re-invent the wheel it really was time to take the franchise into completely new direction merging Spider-Man into Avengers ensemble.

      Delete
  3. The great thing about ROM is that he was free to team up with Marvel heroes and he fought with most of them including Spidey. I love the movie myself and was happy with most all of the decisions they made. It's the best Spider-Man movie since Spider-Man 2 and that is a high bar indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah i pretty much agree with you on the movie especially the part on your blog review where you said it had the best beginning and ending scenes of any comic book based movie. or at the very least one of the very best. one little correction though if i may. Spider-Man and ROM never fought, sadly we only got to see a cameo panel in issue 23 out of the entire series.

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear the movie is good, Spidey has a special place in my heart as he was the first super hero I've read in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally: http://ew.com/news/transformers-gi-joe-mask-hasbro-toys-first-look/hasbro-first-look

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i saw that set a couple of days ago and i'm really glad Hasbro basically went with the classic ROM and not that idw garbage. hopefully some day i can find a loose ROM since i'm not especially interested in any other part of the set.

      Delete
  6. The problem with Garfield was that he wasn't Peter Parker. It didn't vibe. His Spidey was okay. His acting was fine. But overall he looked and acted too cool to be that kid who took joy in escaping the he'll of high school to do something worthwhile.
    This new kid gets it almost spot on, and I appreciated the mix of Parker universe with the Morales one. They did that well. It also did a good job of portraying a kid trying to outgrow his high school days too fast, which is one of the most relatable things about Spidey in his younger years. We all felt it would never end. And we all hated having to wait. As for Keaton, that scene in the car was cinematically one of the tensest, most claustrophobic I've felt in a movie that wasn't based underwater in a shark cage. He's a great actor. I think people forget that. He made the Vulture scary again. I was very very happy with the movie. Two webslingers up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds like you liked the movie even more then i did. excellent points on the Parker Morales universe blending and the car scene with Keaton.

      Delete
    2. Really loved that. Beautifully done. I didn't like it as much as I did Dr. Strange, but I'd put it solidly in the same range as Civil War.

      Delete