Thursday, October 5, 2017

ROM vs Maximilian by Jeff Slemons

Well here we go I'm happy to have discovered some new ROM fan art again so soon after my last posting. Fan art that is really well illustrated and conceptually creative as well I might add. As a kid I really liked The Black Hole but it doesn't hold up well in the here and now but never the less it's still classic late 70s sci-fi with a merchandising campaign that went well into the early 80s. Back in the day I had a number of Black Hole stuff including a couple of the figures, a puzzle and the read along record book.

I still think Maximilian was pretty bad ass and back then to a kid who was only around 8 or 9 he was so imposing and menacing. I even featured my old action figure of him in a previous posting
http://romspaceknightart.blogspot.com/2017/01/shogun-warriors-13.html He was big, had the scary red visor panel and the whirling blades but in spite of all that not really a match for the greatest of the spaceknights in an actual show down.


A quick same day update here. Saw this tweet about 7 hours after I published this posting and felt like I needed to address the statement made in it. No dude, ROM is the guy in the Slemons art work. You're the fake ROM "the" spaceknight from idw. The same fake ROM that didn't make it past 14 issues and one annual where as the real ROM ran for 75 issues and 4 annuals. But all that aside thanks for posting the link.

Speaking of cool 80s memories here's a couple of gems I recently dug up from my child hood as something of a continuation from update of the previous posting. Look at all those M.U.S.C.L.S packs not to mention the G.I.Joe Mauler tanks. You can't see it well in this photo but on my left wrist I'm wearing one of the many CASIO digital watches I owned through out the decade I really wish I had kept at least one even with a dead battery.

Oh how I used to love my Castle Greyskull play set and those lazy Saturday mornings in my TRON pajamas. God bless the 80s.

Left click to enlarge
One last thing, Blade Runner 2049 comes out tomorrow although I'll have to wait to see it until this weekend for which I may add a short review (please don't suck!) to this posting. If you happen to be wondering why I have this here old cassette tape insert (love the art) from Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time Album (1986) it's because of the band photo. If you look carefully they have one of the flying police spinners in it from the original Blade Runner film. All that aside it's one Hell of a great album.


Since this is a heavily awesome 80s themed posting and in light of the recent tragic celebrity death I gotta have something in here for Tom Petty who just passed away at 66. This video was one of those classic MTV 80s magic moments.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my...this post is full of awesome.That artwork is so nostalgic to me with Maximilian and ROM.I love it and seeing you with castle Greyskull in Tron pj's mirrors my own childhood. I had Blackhole pj's and bed sheets.I was also exactly the same about Muscle men at the time. They were very popular and you would often get a pack with a double or two just to get a rare one you didn't have. I have a old family vhs where I revist a friend brian and I go straight to his action figures and muscle men. Words like " Wow you have him" and "I have that" are heard. As for Blade Runner, I have extremely low expectations. I have been let down to many times with fresh out of ideas Hollywood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a great compliment when i here that one of my postings has taken some down memory lane.

      Delete
  2. I think this is the best drawing of Rom in recent months,the inking is great especially in conveying the metallic feel of the armour.
    Great other stuff also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that Jeff Slemons guy has a done a lot of ROM spaceknight fan art it's all quite stunning. very creative from a visual stand point how he has Maximilian mostly shadowed as if to sneak up on ROM. but he's about to find out his whirling blades are no match for spaceknight armor.

      Delete
  3. That´s some gorgeous inks! Almost makes me feel like painting with ink again, instead of digital art

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found it really important to have a nice balance between digital media and traditional art media with the fan art I've done over the years.

      Delete
  4. I hear ya' about wishing I could re-live those Saturday morning days in front the tv...damn.

    That truly is a sweet ass piece of ROM art. Damn that is a work of art! I'd like to see a colored version.

    I'm back. Had some health issues(gluten allergy attack#457) and then had to buy a new laptop after my old one finally shit the bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dale welcome back. I had the feeling your absence may have been tied to more "stomach issues". I actually forgot about your ongoing computer issues which have been an ongoing thing for quite some time now.

      Delete
  5. this Black Hole and ROM cross over concept reminds me of the cover art for issue 61 that has ROM falling on a completely black back ground with the tag line "Into The Wraith-Realm!".

    ReplyDelete