Thursday, April 5, 2012

New Warriors #60 offering a moment in cool nostalgia for ROM fans

When I learned last year about the Dire Wraith and Torpedo armor story line in the first New Warriors series I went on the hunt for several back issues. I had found all but one that I just couldn't get my hands on no matter how many back issue bins I went through at the various comic shops in the San Francisco Bay Area. So finally I had to break down and have my local comic shop special order #60 (1995 Vol.1) for me.
I'm sure most of you remember how ROM's energy analyzer was used to activate The Torpedo's visor optics which in turn had already been modified to detect dire wraiths at the lab where Brandy Clark worked at.
So I think it was really cool how they carried that little detail into this New Warriors issue. Ya know it was just one of those little things that makes a ROM fan like me take a little trip down memory lane which means a lot these days.

And the ROM nostalgia in this issue just keeps on coming!

Ofcourse this would be the prologue to the hunt for the Torpedo armor by the dire wraith queen Volx. All of which would be part of the conclusion of the New Warriors series (#73,74,75). Volx would eventually obtain the armor for which we would learn about the full range of it's powers it possessed that both Brock Jones and Mickey were never aware of. I hope you all enjoyed this clip art I don't believe you'll find it anywhere else on the internet. A full synopsis of the issue can be read here: http://newwarriors.com/synopsis/volume-one-p3/new-warriors-60
Also, check out this awesome Turbo splash page from this issue featured on It's a Dan's World: http://www.itsadansworld.net/2012/04/now-thats-splash-page-new-warriors.html

10 comments:

  1. Yup, these New Warriors issues (and yes, of course I have them) were a real treat for old-school ROM fans.

    Thanks for rekindling the memories.

    ~P~

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROM... Been a while since I heard that name...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha Man you are the Bomb Dave this is so cool talk about a strait up well if you didn't get the hint... Oh Yea ROM Ha Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post! Love my New Warriors, it was a great book. A little less great after Fabian stopped writing but still good. For a while the team even had two Turbo's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the comments guys i'm really glad you all liked this posting so much and took the time to let me know here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is pretty cool:
    http://thomasperkins.blogspot.com/2012/04/hands-in-airnow.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. excellent find! i believe i will make that my next blog posting thanks.

      Delete
  7. Amazing that Marvel actually mentioned and even footnote referenced ROM in that issue. Seems counter to all the spiel we've gotten from Marvel about not being able to with the property this last couple of decades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. apparently MARVEL still had the rights almost up until 2000. by the way i just made another find for my next posting. you're gonna love this too stay tuned. by the way check your email.

      Delete