Saturday, December 16, 2017

The Last Jedi Review and so much more cool shit

Left click to enlarge
First off I thought I'd open up this posting with some awesome kick ass recently discovered art work that spans the Star Wars continuity between Rogue 1 and The Empire Strikes Back. Been looking for an excuse to post this stuff here for a few weeks now. So with out any further adieu, on with the review.
Basically, I think whatever you felt about The Force Awakens is what you're going to feel about The Last Jedi. It was over all a mixed bag with some good moments in the spirit of the original trilogy although at times they seemed to be trying a bit too hard with that schtick. There was also some shit that was way too derivative of things we know from reality with everything from World War II B-52 bombers to Las Vegas. We never did get to find out who the fuck this Snoke guy is and then there was this one scene in particular on this planet where the rebels were making their last stand on that had to do with salt that went absolutely no where or other wise made any sense to what was going on. We also got our fair share of logic and plot gaps even within the realm of sci-fi fantasy and too much goddamn CGI effects as well I don't know why the fuck they keep doing that. And speaking of which, there was a Yoda ghost scene with Luke where Yoda's looks were a bit off. It bugged me, I was like come on can't you people at least make a ghost CGI Yoda look like how we remember him from the original trilogy!?
Some of the high lights included a couple of genuine surprises in the story line as well as finally getting a bit of back ground about what happened between Luke Skywalker and Kylo Ren. Poe Damron was something of a stand out in the story but Rey and Fin were just there and not much more. Chewbacca was also a bit under used but I did for the most part like the late Carrie Fisher's reprised Liea role although I'm still not too sure about her would be death scene. The Phasma character like in the last movie was a completely useless and worthless character again. They introduced a new Rebel character by the name of Rose who I didn't much care for and toward the end of the movie she does something that I thought was bullshit and made me wish she had died. Sorry folks, The Last Jedi was no ROGUE 1. That classic Star Wars magic just wasn't there.

Left click to enlarge
Early this year I posted a photo of myself from the summer of the year before knee deep in mud at the Dead Sea in Israel with a copy of ROM spaceknight 38 (Mantlo, Buscema, Akin & Garvey)
http://romspaceknightart.blogspot.com/2017/06/i-love-80sexcept-when-idw-reboots-it.html I ended up giving that copy to a friend of mine in Israel and he recently sent this cute photo of one of his kids with it. Reminds me of when I was that age sitting at the kitchen table and drawing with some open comic books nearby to help inspire my creativity.

Left click to enlarge
Was just feeling a little nostalgic one day where I had spare time on my hands and on a whim decided to color this panel. Actually this is more concept art then a panel per se. It has to do with a proposed 6 issue Marvel mini-series continuing the story line of the original ROM spaceknight run that Brian Douglas Ahern came up with some years ago. I read the script a while back and it had some aspects to it that I liked and others I wasn't too crazy about. As you can see among other things it features another Hybrid return, ROM back in his spaceknight armor and Danny Jones taking after his old man with the Torpedo suite.


Saw this on an ebay auction at the beginning this month and thought it wasn't bad. I think Spider-Man actually came out a little better then ROM did but still, over all not bad and at least this art work features some imagination.

Left click to enlarge
I recently went on a weekend trip to Pismo Beach and got these shots of my dog (Chevy) at this really cool seas side park. I loved em so much I just had to share. Now as you can see she's so cute but like a T-Rex or Velociraptor she's a little monster around any unattended food that she can get at. We were reminded of that when we accidentally left some pastries in the car while we were inside some place we stopped at for a few minutes. There you have it the world's first dinodog a Chevysaurus.

13 comments:

  1. I don't bother with Star Wars again after the force awakens let down,they just milking the cow imo.
    Love all the other pics you posted and that Spidey/Rom drawing is not bad indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah at this point when it comes to movies that take place after Return of The Jedi i feel they've gone back to the well too many now. i still love Rogue 1, but ofcourse that story takes place before the original trilogy.

      Delete
    2. Funny you should mention milking the cow....

      Delete
  2. I've successfully avoided the new era of SW films, but this one does interest me enough to go see it at least see it when it becomes available to rent. Seeing Luke die will kinda' suck, but circle of life and all that, plus who didn't see that coming honestly right? You'd think like Obi-Wan and Yoda before him, he'd have learned from their mistakes in having pupils turn against them, but no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as a none Star Wars fan or even as a Star Wars fan if you're gonna take the time to only watch one of the new movies this one is certainly not the one.

      Delete
  3. I hate to tell you this, but Yoda in this movie is a puppet again, made from the original molds. So he should look just like you remember him from the original trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rather that's true or not about the puppet he didn't look the same in this movie as he did in the original trilogy. it's especially obvious when you do an apples to apples comparison with still images. other then Rogue 1 fuck all these other new Star Wars movies in the last 20 years.

      Delete
  4. I agree with you that if you liked the last movie you will like this one. I realized how much I miss Carrie Fisher with every scene she was in. The backstory with Luke needs about 20 minutes of backstory to show us WHY everyone went nuts one night. I could see Snoke manipulating Kylo and Luke to act against their better nature. Kylo will be the hero of the epic, mark my words. He doesn't want to be evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also miss Carrie and enjoyed seeing her again. in fact that was one of the few things I enjoyed about the movie. As for Kylo or anything else pertaining to that particular story line I'm at a point now where I could care less. It's either Rogue 1 style and quality Star Wars story telling or nothing for me from now on.

      Delete
  5. First, your dog is the cutest. I'm such a sucker for dog pictures. As for the movie, I think you're spot on. It wasn't perfect, and it didn't have that wave of "oh my gosh it doesn't suck like the prequels" that The Force Awakens had. But all in all it was a good Star Wars movie. It focused on the characters much more than I thought it would, and I was reminded of Empire when they did the same thing. I think the carry-through of Luke's personality was spot on. He was always a little eager to jump the gun with his visions, and he never did grow out of that completely. And I think the lesson that even though we make mistakes we need to carry on and do what we can to make it right was a good one. It hit home with me, anyway. I was so sure they were going to kill Leia off, that surprised me, and for a second they had suckered me into believing that Kylo was going to flip. So I thought that was good. I wish there had been a bit more history involved, but then Star Wars has always just picked up and assumed you know the history, which is one of it's strengths as you feel immersed in the world, but always a flaw as it can be carried to the point of muddled confusion. Hopefully they'll clear it up.
    Either way, I wasn't sad I went to see it. And I had a very good time watching it. I think people sometimes get to caught up in critique and don't just ask themselves if they had fun watching a movie. Which is what movies are for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it seems you liked the movie a lot more then i did. for me it had too many problems to be a really good movie going experience and on top of that Rogue 1 just raised the bar so high since the original trilogy i pretty much won't ever be able to not compare any future Star Wars movies to it. i can think of only two times where i really had an experience that took me back in time to that feeling i had when i saw the original trilogy. one was Rogue 1 and the other was the first time i went on the Star Tours ride at Disneyland in the early 90s i actually teared up a bit after wards.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete