Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Figure drawing at it's best with more kick ass ROM fan art

Even after having been exposed to amazing art work for any number of years most comic book fans still have no idea how much skill and ability it takes to be good at figure drawing. To actually imagine a character in your head in some kind of dynamic pose and be able to put that image in your head onto paper or canvas is nothing short of a gift.
There's so many things you have to get right such as the perspective, angle and especially the proportions. Is the head the right size for the body it's attached to? Are the legs to long or are the arms to short? To me, getting the proportions right is usually what sets apart fan art that looks like it was done by a professional and that which is more amateurish looking.


The following figure studies of  ROM are excellent examples of some artists who possess that kind of skill. Unfortunately I don't who did any of these three illustrations which is really sad cause these guys deserve to be accredited accordingly. I consider my self to be a fairly descent artist by any reasonable estimation but I'm obviously not at the level these guys are on.

Special thanks to Gary Martin Jr. "a ROM curator" for providing me with this amazing art work for me to share with you all.

July 4th Update: Some new info. was just brought to my attention the top illustration is by Marat Mychaels, bottom right Darryl Banks and the bottom left is Bob Layton.


6 comments:

  1. Very interesting styles. The top one seems to be a very modernized interpretation of ROM; kind of a 2012 ROM. I like the bottom two. While the one on the left is very impressive and powerful-looking, I prefer the one on the right by Banks. It seems to capture ROM's character more (i.e. the human spirit trapped within a non-human shell).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "the human spirit trapped within a non-human shell", just like RoboCop. thanks for the feed back Rick. i'm just itchn to do some new fan art of my own now.

      Delete
    2. Now this is the real thing. I like the sleek 2012 version. If these are art students their ready if you ask me.

      Delete
  2. The 2nd pic (bottom left) seems to be by Bob Layton (a classic 1980's era Marvel artist, most famous for his Iron Man and Hercules runs). The 3rd illo (bottom right) is by Darryl Banks, best known for his 1990's turn on Green Lantern.

    I'm usually pretty good at matching artists styles.
    But of course, the fact that they signed these made it really easy.
    LOL

    ~P~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I wish I was producing work like that. Too bad those were not available for the Tribute that was done a while back. Now the REAL question is.... How long before a certain SOMEBODY goes and COLORIZES them?!?!?! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hear ya bro. i've been finding a lot of stuff lately that begs to be colored. perhaps that Marat Mychaels piece might be a good candidate?

      Delete