Thursday, July 26, 2012

Marvel 80s house ads & promos with ROM appearances part 3 of 3

Left click to enlarge
As irony would have it I scanned this out of my copy of  ROM #26 which happens to be the very cover in this bullpen bulletin page promotional. I like that it was staged in the forefront there.

Left click to enlarge
Finding this ad is how I found out about ROM's appearance in the Incredible HULK #296 back then. Needless to say I scrambled to find a copy as soon as possible. Fortunately I came across one while still on the stands at some dime store of  Seven11 I don't really remember which. I just remembered I was pretty thrilled when I did it was a great find for my collection at the time.

Left click to enlarge
If I missed any other house ads out there I should have included in this posting there I hope you'll let me know. And just so you know I purposely didn't include the classic full and half page ROM Spaceknight house ads since pretty much every body knows about those already. Same goes for the full page ad for the electronic doll which was actually a Parker Brothers advertisement. I wonder if Parker Brothers had to pay for that ad space like a regular advertiser or if they had some sort of special arrangement given the licensing agreement with Marvel at the time.

August 1st I'm going to unveil my latest piece of ROM related fan art that features an epic battle between Doctor Strange and Dire Wraith witches. Along with that I'll also be featuring some more fan art sent to me that I'm sure most if not all of you have never seen before!


8 comments:

  1. Wow Brother another Awesome trip down memory lane on this find!! I remember these promos as well, I wasn't crazy on how the drew Rom on that cover but it was an interesting cross over story!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, now you're getting hardcore! Good job on compiling the list. I recognize all these ads, but hadn't thought of them as I was thinking of the house ads for Rom. BTW, in addition to the "classic full and half page ROM Spaceknight house ads," there was also, IIRC, a approximately 1/4 page ad that stretched all the way across the page horizontally (like the one you featured in part 1). It was a smaller version of the 1/2 page ad. Key words, *IIRC*!

    I may steal *your* scans from this page for a page on RSR in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah i know what ad you're talking about. i didn't want to use it cause it's basically the half page still. i'd be more then happy to help you update RSR with my stuff. i used your page on ROM appearances and cameos to find out what i was missing which i tracked down and posted here lately. so i know at least some what you still have missing. i'll come up with a list later tonight.

      Delete
  3. The return of "OM: ACEKNIGHT". Yeah, that's the way to bring him back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shlomo: Once again you succeeded in compelling me to do some additional curating. I love it when you do that. I had totally forgotten about the subscription strip reference, if I ever noticed it before. I remembered the other two but hadn't collected my own high-res images of them until today. Heads up others searching: ROM #57 has both the Cookie Crisp ad and the subscription form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's why we network my friend. making the world (ok mostly the internet) a better place for Rom Fans Who Aren't Dicks.

      Delete
  5. That's what I'm talking about brother the pooling of resources fuels inspiration and creative juices Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and as you know zhaanman we're going to be seeing the latest results of that in a big way come August 1st.

      Delete