Friday, July 13, 2012

ROM vs. Robocop: "I'll buy that for a dollar!"

Left click to enlarge
Well, with all this newly discovered fan art I just couldn't resist making up some of my own again. Especially with the new Robocop movie hype that's been starting to get the sci-fi nerds out there into a fan boy frenzy. Now this isn't the most polished piece of ROM related art I've ever done but it is the first to have dialogue that I wrote which I think is relevant to the concept here.
There's been some rumors floating around for years now about Robocop having been in part inspired by ROM and Judge Dredd (can't wait to see that reboot too please don't suck!). There could be some truth to that. I suspect it wasn't a coincidence that several copies of ROM Spaceknight turned up in a couple of scenes in the first Robocop film. Special thanks to Lee Sietz who I appropriated these images from. More on that ROM/Robo connection here: http://www.herogohome.com/2011/11/27/super-movies-robocop/

Left click to enlarge
 I remember when I first saw Robocop in theaters I definitely noticed the ROM copies in the liquor store hold up scene which I thought was Hell of cool even back then since I was loving the movie and had already been a long time ROM fan. For the longest time though I had thought the robber had picked up a ROM issue and through it on the counter before he pulled out his gun. Sadly though I when I finally got a hold of a VHS tape of Robocop I realized it was an issue of  Iron Man. Which is kinda cool given that in both Robocop and in the first Iron Man film a bad guy gets pulled through a wall. The producers of the new Robocop film have a real challenge on their hands seeing as unlike the Stallone Judge Dredd the first Robocop movie was awesome. My fellow fan boys, let us pray together.


Here's a podcast from May that deals with the topic of licensed comics. These guys seem to be having more discussion that consists of them goofing on each other about their different taste in titles then then anything else. But it's kinda amusing and toward the end one of them mentions ROM a couple of times when it comes to listing their favorite licensed comic book titles.
http://www.comicspodcasts.com/2012/05/21/super-podcasto-magnifico-ep-91-licensed-comic-books/

Coming up next week, if you're feeling a little nostalgic for some ROM related 80's stuff I might have found something in yet another discount back issue bin that might make you feel a bit better.

14 comments:

  1. I see Lone Ranger and Tonto, I heard Johnny Depp was going to star in the movie as Tonto. The movie is suppose to tell the Story with Tonto being the lead charaacter. This is going to be good to see the world of the Lone Ranger from Tonto's point of view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. did you say Johnny Depp? that means it's probably gonna be directed by tim burton who happens to be one of my most hated film directors of all time.

      Delete
    2. Tim Burton is good in his place. The problem is he doesn't stay there. And he absolutely SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED ANYWHERE NEAR THE LONE RANGER. That being said, Johnny Depp wouldn't be a bad Tonto. If Tim Burton were barred from the set.

      Delete
  2. I love your fan art, Dave. But I always do. Your love the medium, and subject, always shines through.
    I'm more nervous about the Robocop reboot than I am about the Judge Dredd simply because I loved the original. Judge Dredd they could screw up again, and it would be no harm, no foul. Robocop they screw up, and I'll be pissed. Because that's trampling on basic inviolate rights of childhood memories. But I'll remain hopeful. I refuse to be a negative nelly.
    I did love that they pulled the dude through a wall in the Iron Man movie, and I still maintain it's because the writers are nerds on an epic scale as large as I am. There's no other explanation. The coolness factor is off the wall.
    Excellent job on this post Dave. Keeping my Excitment For Movies I Want To See Meter humming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, i kinda have the opposite out look. if they screw up the the new Robocop it would suck but we'd still have the original to fall back on and take comfort with. but i would really like to see Judge Dredd done right this time because i like the basic premise of the character and the futuristic dystopian background story. for now all we can do is hope and gossip about it all which we love to do.

      Delete
    2. I see what you're saying, but still...I'm tired of them making remakes of movies that were good the first time around. I can see making remakes of movies that sucked. They have a valid reason for that. But why mess with a good thing? Total Recall is really the one that makes me the most nervous. I know people have said that the first one didn't stick to the P.K. Dick book, but I don't really have high hopes that the remake will either. It'll be a remake of the movie. And cheesy as it was, I fondly remember the movie. For the time, it wasn't bad. Judge Dredd, for the time, was BAD. Very bad. For no reason. They can do it better this time. I hope they do. I pray they do. But if they don't, they can always try again. Like they did with Captain America.

      Delete
  3. We all know what happened to "Land of the Lost" when it got put on the big screen. Another childhood memory forever sullied.

    Stinking Sleestaks......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i forgot all about that show until you brought it up. i used ta sorta watch that as a kid on Saturday mornings. even back then as a pre-teen kid i thought it was pretty cheesy. back then Spiderman and his amazing friends along with Thundar The Barbarian were the highlight of Saturday morning shows.

      Delete
    2. Oh dear lord, Shlomo, don't go looking for the movie. STAY AWAY.

      Delete
  4. Again nice job Dave! I'm glad I'm not the only one who analyises comic racks in movies. This one and the store in Lost Boys especially. Now there's an 80's movie I loved almost as much as RoboCop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and don't forget about the trailer from the new TRON movie that also had an issue of ROM: http://romspaceknightart.blogspot.com/2010/10/rom-26-cover-spotted-in-latest-tron.html

      Delete
  5. Credit for those Robocop images goes to Gary Martin, Jr., not me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! At least Rom is somewhere in a Popular movie, also which issue of ROM are shown in Robocop?

    ReplyDelete