Monday, August 25, 2014

New fan art and a mention in SciFiNow magazine


A big thanks to Gary for finding the following on Instagram. When it comes to fan art for any characters we don't get to see much in the way of water colors unfortunately. This one comes to us from artist Vince Sunico nice job bro I especially dig how you did with Rom's eyes.

Left click to enlarge
Here's a nice sketch card by artist Mark Propst (a color version featured here later this week) that may have been inspired by the iconic 80s HULK rage face close up Bob Larkin. Mark has at least one other sketch card of Rom that could be something of a follow up to this one in terms of it's theme
http://iconosquare.com/p/757602894134377649_1018888070


Left click to enlarge
Hey Gary seems I've been doing some incidental curating as of late. This past weekend I happened to be up in Petaluma and while browsing at this book store I took a look at a July copy of a U.K. magazine called SciFiNow. I noticed an article in it called Cosmic Marvel from A-Z in which every letter of the alphabet headlined a short editorial of major characters ("J" for Rick Jones) and events in cosmic Marvel story lines in recent years. It's nice to find these Rom references in old school publications from the 80s and 90s but it's also nice to find them in recent stuff as well, as seen last year in GEEK magazine and with IDW's splash page.


Update: And speaking of IDW only hours after publishing this posting I came across yet another albeit rather unique ROM reference in the recent issue of Rogue Trooper but I'm saving that one for the next posting : )

9 comments:

  1. Man, you are the king of the tease. :)
    I'm in love with that sketch card. The reflection is just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wait until you see that sketch card in color! yeah i was on the train heading back from S.F. late this morning when i caught something in that Rogue Trooper issue and i was like "score again". that issue was one of the 3 for $1 deal i picked up last week which that New Mutants issue was part of. the 3rd book was a Firestorm issue which i picked up because it was written by John Ostrander.

      Delete
    2. Heh. You'd make an awesome guest star on comic book men.

      Delete
    3. I also love the sketch-card. -I shall battle you for its affection.

      Delete
    4. You are a worthy opponent... that I shall crush into oblivion.

      Delete
  2. I'm really excited for a color version of Mark Propst's extreme close-up, make those eyes shine!! And I have no earthly idea what could've been in Rogue Trooper, so I'll be looking forward to your next post even more than I always do. Nice that you mentioned Geek, that's the last (previous chronologically) non-comics magazine I had in my Vault that mentioned ROM in this fashion. Thanks for the addition of SciFiNow; I don't personally read a lot of such magazines and it stands to reason that there's more of these mentions-in-passing out there so we'll never know if we caught 'em all. Keep on Analyzing... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you raised a great point, but i think i can best respond to your comment in my next posting Gary.

      Delete
  3. I really like that water color. The eyes on it are stunning for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That water color is magnificent. He did amazing job with it. Those eyes are indeed electric

    ReplyDelete