Sunday, October 21, 2012

A little something for Bill Mantlo and some envelope fan art

Left click to enlarge
I recently found myself with some spare time on my hands thanks to the sand blasting and paint work being done on "my ship". That kinda work on such a large vessel is pretty much the equivalent of your home getting bombed with pest control poison for about two days straight. So I'll interrupt my hiatus to share with you all  what I did recently. On a whim I decided to turn some of my past fan art into 4 x 7 photo prints which I like to do sometimes because of the difference between digital photo processing and inkjet print outs. I was pretty happy with the results so I thought it might make for a nice surprise for Bill Mantlo. Sometimes it's those little things that makes a big difference to people ya know? As you can see here I did some letter art that started off as some doodling. I dropped it off at the post office Saturday morning since I had to go there anyways to pick up the Jack of Hearts mini-series I ordered on ebay last weekend.

Left click to enlarge
What a great opportunity for Bill Mantlo to include a Rom #12 cameo flash back here on this page of issue #1 of the mini series I really wonder why he didn't. Some of you may recognize the bottom left dialogue box making a direct reference to the Marvel Team up issue in the previous posting. I forgot to mention in that posting that I really liked the sub story line of Peter Parker struggling with his decision to drop out of college I'm sure many of you out there (like me at one time) can relate.
So onward here, I finished reading the mini series this morning. I liked the first issue the most because like that Marvel Team Up issue we saw a lot of character development for Jack Hart and Marcy Kane. By the end of the second issue I wasn't so sure I liked where the story was going but I thought the end of the mini-series concluded fairly well.

7 comments:

  1. That was very nice of you, Dave. Seeing that Mantlo lives now in Far Rockaway has made me remember an old issue of Amazing Spiderman (not Mantlo's) located in that spot:

    http://marvel.wikia.com/Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_138

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just checked out the issue and i'm thinking Far Rockaway must have been either where someone back then working at Marvel lived or came from.

      Delete
  2. That's really sweet of you Dave. Everyone likes to know that people remember them. I'm sure he'll appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea Dave, and I'm sure he'll be stoked!

    I remember getting in touch with one of my all time top icons, Mike Zeck, and found him so amazing and polite to talk to. I've talked with a few now but he is always going to be one of my favourites. Those 80's artists like he and Mantlo, just left a legacy that generated so many of the fans the modern artists have inherited, it's a shame more isn't done to showcase their work in retrospect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really nice gesture and I'm sure Bill is going to really enjoy and appreciate it. His brother, Mike, always instructed me to send Bill's mail directly to him, not to the care facility. I'm curious: how were you told to send mail to him? I hate when there's conflicting information and I want to get it right for my own correspondence to him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave I've looked at this post several times and still can't get over how thoughtful the envelope art was. Man your heart is good and the world is a better place with people like you in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the people i hassle in my youtube videos would probably disagree with you but thanks anyways.

      Delete