Friday, October 26, 2012

The Rom fan art just floating around you probably didn't know about

 Left click to enlarge
 For those of you who have been following this blog for a while now you know I don't like much the majority of the fan art that was created for the Bill Mantlo benefit auction. And it seems like the least best stuff has gotten the most saturation on the internet over the years. The best example of that is the Sal Buscema at the top left there on the wall at Floating World Comics. As I posted before I know none of you had seen it before I featured it here earlier this year: http://romspaceknightart.blogspot.com/2012/06/end-of-june-rom-fan-art-sightings-sal.html
The bottom left piece has been around a lot and I think it's pretty good even though I felt Rom's head needed a bit more work. But I don't like the piece next to it at all and that one turns up a lot too all the time on the net. The top middle one gets points for over all style and design but I would have really liked to have seen Rom drawn better. But the top right one is pretty sweet yet when have you ever seen it before?
Then there's the bottom right piece which I've seen a million times now on the internet as just a black n' white line drawing. I wouldn't have even known it existed as a color version were it not for this wall art I did a screen shot of. I like it so much better in color especially when it comes to the details like on the Wonder Bread which is pretty much iconic packaging art these days. I can't even remember the last time I saw that in recent years at the grocery store but I sure remember it from back in the day.

Here's something I've been sitting on for quite a while now. Over the years ROM cover art has had the benefit of some really great talent like Michael Golden and Mike Zeck. But arguably non have been quite as stylish as the covers done by Bill Sienkiewicz. This particular piece is something of a mixed bag for me of likes and dislikes. Any of you out there got an opinion about it?

12 comments:

  1. Nice - I really like that centre one in the top of the first oic. The isolation I think speaks to the character, simple and effective. As for the last one I dont mind the style experiment, I'm just not sure on the pose.... still any fan work is good fan work I say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "any fan work is good fan work I say!", you're a kinder critic then i my friend. thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  2. That top center one does just kind of grab you, doesn't it? But for coming back and staring I like the top right one. I'm partial to destroying rays of light. That's just me.
    The pose in the bottom one is off, like Dan said. The head is just off enough in shape to kind of jar your perception, and I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a space pyramid in the back or a beehive. Maybe both? Also, did he just teleport in? Because those weird swirly things kind of look like the new Trek teleporting effect. I know, I'm being kind of harsh. But none of the background is crisp enough to give me a feeling of where I am, and ROM isn't settled enough to give me a sense of kick ass. So I don't like it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree David the bottom left pic has a girth to his build but the head is a bit too boxed otherwise it's an amazing pose! and the top right has a good dramatic flare as he lays waist to the wraiths Nice one!!

    I too must say I've only seen the black and white version of the last one too and this just grabs you with the attention to detail, as well as a chuckle at the fact Rom's can be the loving toaster husband Ha!

    Now this last one his lower torso and legs seem too thin too give him that edge! it causes that perception of sicklyness. Now over all it has a nice style to it so you know this is Rom just a bit young looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the feed back you two! i like the over all look of the Sienkiewicz piece it's very stylistic in a unique way. but the proportions have some problems and i'm a stickler for that.
      indeed his head is too narrow and in general the portion of his right leg that you see needs to be much bigger since it is closer to the viewer then any other part of his body. on the flip side his right arm is way too big and his shoulders are a tad too high.

      Delete
  4. I have to ask, I know you featured my piece in you video tribute to Bill but what did you think of my Rom, Scorpius piece? I have to get me a drawing table I intend to do a poster size Starshine piece but I don't want to screw it up trying to draw it on a flat surface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm pretty sure back when you did it last year i told ya i liked it. i think the Starshine piece you're thinking of is a great idea. but i recommend you try to draw it free hand. use a model for a reference if need be. even if it's another random super hero chick drawing that you "dress up" as Starshine. original art isn't really original if it's basically just a copy of already published work.

      Delete
  5. Indeed something I'm working on, thanks the ability to draw what I see comes more natural to me but seeing how its down has given me a lot more insight into making something fresh but like you I hate seeing a character half assed hopefully you get to see it soon Thanks man!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good work if you ask me. What didn't you like? As far as detail is concerned it's ok, I didn't like the wind lines and I've always thought ROM's head and gun could use a remake. But reading the post on this blog I'm appreciating the space knight as serious player in the Marvel Universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. here's part of the comment i posted on Oct. 27
      "indeed his head is too narrow and in general the portion of his right leg that you see needs to be much bigger since it is closer to the viewer then any other part of his body. on the flip side his right arm is way too big and his shoulders are a tad too high."

      Delete
  7. That picture of Rom and Brandy in the kitchen is fantastic! I'd love that print on my wall. It would have me smiling every time I look at it. Wish it was available for distribution. Perhaps I'll commission something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite is the one in the upper-right hand corner.

    ReplyDelete