Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Wizard Magazine Calendar Rom appearance June 1997 1 of 3

Left click to enlarge
You all can thank Gary Martin Jr. for the this series of postings of these Wizard Magazine Calendars with art by Brian Ahern. As you'll see from this posting and from the next two Gary's been busting ass doing some serious Rom curating recently. Until Gary sent these to me I had no idea Wizard magazine even had these Marvel Age Magazine like calendars in them.
Gary has reason to believe that issues #67 and #68 come with a Star Wars and/or X-Men-Wildcats poster which have calendars on the back of em that may have a Dire Wraith appearance so if any of you have these issues please step forward. As it stand right now I should be posting these calendars every couple of days till the end of this week.

And by the way here's some links to the latest Rom related fan art that's turned up in just the last few days.
 http://browse.deviantart.com/art/Rom-SketchBook-Mini-372825262
http://browse.deviantart.com/art/Torpedo-371653059
http://browse.deviantart.com/art/ROM-Spaceknight-372559551
http://ryallsfiles.tumblr.com/post/50944049104/lego-rom-spaceknight-a-gift-from-artist-jolyon
ROM featured in the comic book homage cover art blog today: http://ilovecomiccovers.blogspot.com/2013/05/homage-rom-spaceknight-3-mars-attacks.html

6 comments:

  1. I used to love these calendars! Had forgotten about them until now though, so thanks Dave! Ah Wizard Magazine aye - seems like it was available so long ago now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking to my Torpedo illo! Glad you like it, as I had a great time drawing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment i hope you enjoy exploring this blog. if it's more Torpedo stuff you want to see all you have to do is use the search feature with key words The Torpedo and you'll get plenty of postings including one that feature the specs for the armor.

      Delete
  3. Specs for the Torpedo armor? What for? Don't get me wrong, I love the character and the look or it, but as "armor", the design makes no practical sense. It provides little in the way of protection (like Red Sonja's chain mail) and it's pretty ridiculous for use as a flight mechanism. I'm just messing around though. I love those 3D breakdowns of things like the X-mansion, Project Pegasus, Helicarrier and the Transformers. Thanks for the goodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the term "armor" is a bit weird for that outfit especially since it's portrayed more like being a fabric. as a relative comparison think of the battle suite for Guardian/Vindicator from Alpha Flight.

      Delete
    2. I remember all of these upon seeing them... seems like only yesterday.
      I still quote jokes from Wizard & ToyFare all the time. That magazine was a highlight for me- even when I wasn't getting comics regularly- I would always pick up a Wizard.

      LEGO ROM? I wish!!! ~Hahaha!

      Delete