Monday, September 10, 2012

Heavy Metal


Lee Seitz blogged about this illustration by Steve Fastner and
Rich Larson back in May this year you can see the original posting here: http://lkseitz.blogspot.com/2012/05/fastner-and-larson-rom-illustration.html  The first time I laid eyes on it I immediately thought about all those cool Heavy Metal magazine covers that always managed to mix amazing fantasy and sci-fi renderings with exotic women complete with curvy bodies and minimal clothing.

Left click to enlarge
I wasn't a regular collector of  Heavy Metal magazine but I did have a few issues. Here are a couple of my favorite covers from the issues I had. The Brothers Hildebrandt which I just featured a couple of postings ago did the cover art on the left and on the right is by Simon Bisely.

Left click to enlarge
Just before I put together that Rom Heavy Metal mock up I found this sketch of the finished illustration on Comic Art Fans. Although I like the colored version I also happen to like this black n white quite a bit too. I would have loved to have seen it inked just before they applied color too it. I think this could have really made for an excellent black n white illustration. Be sure to magnify it there's some nice details not to be missed.

9 comments:

  1. This is probably one of my favorite ROM pictures that you've posted. I have a weak spot for those old Heavy Metal and Sci-Fi magazines, and they did a stunning job of putting ROM exactly where he belongs. The Brave Knight defending the lovely woman (although ROM would have fought for anyone, it certainly looks better with a buxom red head hanging off his arm). I think the reason he works so well in this setting is because at his core ROM is The Protector. That archetype that grabs us and pulls us in, leaving us to root for everything gallant and noble in this or any galaxy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've probably had about 5-6 issues in my life time. most of the time the stories were a bit too bizarre for my taste but they did also have some good ones here and there. the art was kinda hit or miss too at times. but the covers never failed to impress me. they were a really good hook for getting me to pick up the issues and browse through them and sometimes buy one. i still have a VHS tape of the Heavy Metal movie.

      Delete
    2. I haven't watched that in years. I'm going to have to see if I can find it. And that's what a good cover is, a hook. Makes you pick up the mag, and hopefully you won't be able to put it down.

      Delete
  2. I kind of do the same thing at times when I see Airbrush Action magazine. The thing is I have a Paasche H and a VL that I've used for doing model kits, but I've never dared do an actual painting with one. I've seen some really good T-shirt artists with a manifold and a bank of airbrushes and it fascinates me what they do but it is beyond what I'm willing to try. Doesn't stop me from checking out their work though. Phenomenal at times.

    http://www.airbrushaction.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really amazing picture. Absolutely one of the best Rom prints I've ever seen. I've never read a single issue of Heavy Metal, probably because the title implied that it was a book about heavy metal music. However, I'm guessing that I would enjoy it since I've been really enjoying all the old Marvel magazines that I come across lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man O man Dave this is F-ing Phenomenal!!! Now this is art at its finest!! As you know from my Rom drawings I can do what I see but drawing an original piece like this blows the mind!!

    The black and white piece stands out for me as well such Amazing detail So Lovin this!! Like I posted to you on Deviant Its been Years since I've even seen a Heavy Metal mag and yea the toons inside got pretty morbid at times! However few things can beat their cover art Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks bro, that's pretty much what i specialize in here, original art. it's the best way to keep things fresh and interesting. stay tuned i've got some more stuff coming in a couple of days you and just about every other Rom fan out there hasn't seen yet either.

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to checking it out Dave you've been pulling some serious rabbits out of your hat on these pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sweet looking faux cover Shlomo! You've seemed to master that art pretty quick there guy.

    Ahh, Heavy Metal. Such fond memories. I knew and watched the original movie dozens of times, and bought the soundtrack for the 2000 sequel. Although oddly enough I never watched it. Weird huh?

    Then I was introduced to the magazine by a friend, and instantly fell in love...with the magazine of course:) Especially Druhna:)

    Good post man.


    ReplyDelete